Sunday, July 5, 2009

Check soil PH

KEY LEARNINGS
Starbucks coffee grounds are acid (a pH of around 6-5.5)
Bed C is alkali pH of around 7.5
Bed B is acid 5.5
My compost is acid 5.5

NEW THINGS I HAVE TRIED
Used a pH test for the garden

DIARY COMMENT
Things don't seem to be growing as well as I had hoped I had a hunch that maybe my soil was too acid so I bought a PH test. Below is the chart and the results (the main bed I was testing is the splodge in the middle)
From Garden 5/07/09 2:29 PM

From Garden 5/07/09 2:29 PM

PH 5.5 LEFT TOP- Used Coffee grounds
PH 5.5 LEFT BOTTOM - Used Coffee grounds (decaf)

PH 7.5 CENTRE - BED C

PH 5.5 RIGHT TOP - My compost heap
PH 5.5 RIGHT BOTTOM - BED B

As you can see by the test my soil is quite alkali (not acid as I thought). It seems that most is about neutral (around 7) but spots of strong alkali (8-9). I have also been taking advantage of Starbucks policy of giving away used coffee grounds and been adding to the compost. (see below)
From Garden 5/07/09 2:29 PM


It says on the coffee that the pH is neutral. I heard that coffee is often a bit acid so I tested it.As you can see they came out fairly acid.

So the coffee might work well to neutralize the alkali in my soil. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment